Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Purchase Is Made


Today I bought 500 Virginia Gold (left) tobacco seeds from E-Bay. The seller is shipping them from Canada, so who knows how long that's going to take. I paid $1.50 for the seeds and then $3.99 for shipping, so it's really cheap to get started. I went with Virginia Gold because I like plant names that are state-oriented. My searches for Pennsylvanian varieties amounted to little.

(Seller's name was Dannysgarage, in case anyone is looking for seeds, but there are numerous sellers)

Why am I growing my own tobacco? I don't even smoke. At least not regularly by any means. I have a pipe and some loose store-bought tobacco from over a year ago. But I really want to grow something that is not going to go rotten right away like some foods do. Tobacco has its niche here because it can be dried and stored for a reasonable amount of time. I do enjoy smoking every now and again, and I have every reason to believe that smoking homegrown tobacco is healthier than anything you can buy commercially, and almost eliminates one's risks of developing cancer, if done in moderation. I'm also a libertarian, so I like doing things myself.

About this blog
I'll be updating this blog whenever I do something significant. My next update will be made when I receive the seeds and plant them. Feel free to write me if you have any questions.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool idea, might have to try it pending your results :D

    ReplyDelete