Saturday, February 21, 2009

I mBolg

I received my tobacco seeds yesterday, February 20th. I'd never seen tobacco seeds before and they are tiny: about the size of a dot made by the tip of a pen. So today I ventured on over to the Home Depot and picked up some organic potting soil and a 10" pot for the transplant later on. I already had some small starter pots from one time I failed at growing basil and other spices before. Here's hoping for a greener thumb this time around.

The seller I received the seeds from provided some growing instructions, which were useful in starting my tobacco plants, so I've paraphrased them below:

1 - Fill the starter pots with soil
2 - Soak the soil
3 - Sprinkle several seeds on top of the soil (not covering them with soil)
4 - Cover the starter pots with saran wrap
5 - Leave the pots in light (tobacco seeds need light to germinate)


So as of now, I have 4 starter pots and a heck of a lot of leftover seeds. Anyway here's a pic:



The title of this post:

I mBolg is Irish-Gaelic for "in stomach" or "in belly". Of course, this is where the name of the pagan holiday Imbolc is derived, referring to young sheep still in their mothers' wombs. The holiday is one of rebirth, and preparation for spring, and I think that I mBolg is an appropriate analogy for the new germinating seeds.

3 comments:

  1. Any idea if they would grow indoors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reply. I think that I might give this a try in my apartment building. It's a pretty cheap thing to try out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very festive, can't wait to see those little sprouts.

    ReplyDelete